|Cornish Hen Stuffed with Mushrooms and Chestnut Sauce || || |
Recipe type: Appetiser
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 35 mins
Total time: 50 mins
Cornish Hen roulade with oven-roasted chestnuts over pan-sauté chanterelle mushrooms
- 1 boneless and skinless Cornish hen, skin preserved
- ¼ lbs chanterelle mushrooms
- ¼ sweet onion, finely diced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 8 chestnuts
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ½ tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- ¼ cup sherry
- Roast the chestnuts in the oven over 450F. Once ready take the out of the shell. Make sure you peel it well.
- Heat 1-tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in an ovenproof skillet. Add the diced onion and cook until translucent, then add the crashed chestnut pieces. Cook for 3 minutes add the sherry and cook until almost all the liquid is evaporated. Pour the heavy cream over the chestnut and add ½ tablespoon Dijon mustard. Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes over low heat.
- Transfer the mixture to immersion blender and blend until smooth and creamy. If need it you may add more of the heavy cream.
- Heat 1-tablespoon olive oil over medium heat in an ovenproof skillet. Add the diced onion and cook until translucent, then add the 1/3rd of the mushrooms and the fresh thyme. Season it with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 5 minutes. Set it a side.
- Debone the Cornish hen and remove the skin or ask your butcher to prepare it for you.
- Cut the skin to 2 pieces, big enough to wrap each roulade.
- On your cutting board lay one half piece of the boneless Cornish hen and scoop in the middle of it 2 scoops of the mushroom mix. Roll it up. Once is one-piece roll it over the skin piece and tie it with kitchen twine. Repeat the same with the second one.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Heat 2-tablespoon over medium heat in an ovenproof skillet. Add the rolls and cook while turning for 7-10 minutes, until skin gets crispy brown color. Remove the pan from the heat and place it in the oven. Bake it for 10-15 minutes.
- Cut it into circles before serving.
- Serve it over lightly pan sauté Chanterelle mushrooms and chestnut sauce.
Recipe by MAZA at http://www.mazamag.com/2012/12/cornish-hen-stuffed-with-mushrooms-and-chestnut-sauce/