|Spaghetti with Tomato Sauce || || |
Recipe type: Entree
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 2 hours
Total time: 2 hours 20 mins
The simplicity of the sauce is what makes this recipe precious. Once you try it, it will make you wish you can speak Italian. “Dolce far niente”
- 10 plum tomatoes
- 1 red bell pepper – cut in 4 pieces, seeds taken out
- 4 medium garlic cloves, not peeled
- 2 shallots – halved
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 3/4 lbs spaghetti
- Preheat the oven to 250F.
- Toss the ingredients above with ½ tablespoon salt, 1 ½ tablespoon olive oil, and pinch of freshly ground black pepper.
- Coat the tomatoes in the mixture well. Line a piece of baking paper on the oven rack, and roast the tomatoes, bell pepper slices and garlic for an hour.
- When done, transfer the tomatoes to a pot to cool enough to handle, and then peel off the skin. Do the same to the bell pepper slices and garlic cloves.
- Grate the tomatoes with stainless steel box grater. Use the largest grain.
- With a Speed Immersion Mixer blend the roasted peppers and garlic to a paste.
- Heat ½ tbs olive oil in medium saucepan over low heat. Add the shallots and cook until translucent for 2-3 min, and then add the grated tomatoes. Cook for 10 min then add the roasted peppers – garlic paste and the vegetable broth. Cook for another 15 min, then lower the heat to simmer and cook it for another 2 hours, while occasionally stirring the mixture, so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring a pot of 6 quarts of salted water to a boil. Cook the Spaghetti until al dente, look at the package instructions. Drain well using a colander and transfer the pasta to the pan with the tomato sauce. Stir gently to mix well. Transfer the pasta to a pasta bowl, garnish with basil and serve.
Recipe by MAZA at http://www.mazamag.com/2012/05/spaghetti-with-tomato-sauce/